Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups
When a person attempts suicide, it can be incredibly distressing and leave many people with all sorts of questions. The Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups provide carers with the skills and resources needed to respond following a suicide attempt, including an opportunity to access support, learn about others’ experiences, increase understanding of suicide and learn practical tips on how to support someone.
Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups are now available in the Newcastle region through Relationships Australia NSW.
Upcoming information sessions:
- Thursday 15 February, 5 - 7pm
- Thursday 1 March, 5 - 7pm
Upcoming four-week group program:
- Thursday evenings, 15 March - 5 April, 5 - 7pm
All sessions are held in Newcastle. For more information and to register your interest in attending, please call (02) 4940 1500.
What are Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups?
The support groups consist of a FREE information session, followed by a FREE four-week education and support group, held weekly for two hours per session. The groups provide information and support for people who care for someone recovering from a recent suicide attempt (within the last three months). This could be a child, partner, family member, friend or colleague.
Guiding Their Way Back Support Group - online information sessions
There is now the option to log onto the online webinar of the information session at your convenience, if you are unable to attend one of the face-to-face information sessions.
If you would like to know more about the Guiding Their Way Back online information session and register your interest, please call Relationships Australia NSW on 02 4940 1500.
What topics will be covered in the support groups:
- Information about suicide, suicide attempts and how this can affect the support person
- Practical tips on supporting someone after a suicide attempt, including how to talk to the person about what they are going through and how to provide practical and emotional support
- Self-care and wellbeing of the carer
- Where and how to access support services, for both the support person and the person who has attempted suicide
- The support groups also offer the opportunity for people to build friendships and support networks with other people who are going through a similar experience.
The Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups were developed by Everymind with funding from beyondblue, nib foundation and Greater Charitable Foundation.
The support group program is being delivered by Relationships Australia NSW, in partnership with Everymind and beyondblue.
The implementation and impact of the Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups will also be evaluated by Everymind to inform future service delivery and efforts to reduce Australia's suicide rate.
For information on when and where you can find a Guiding Their Way Back Support Group, please contact Relationships Australia NSW on (02) 4940 1500.
Guiding Their Way Back Support Groups information flyer
GTWB Information flyer
The Way Back Information Resources
Information resources for people who have attempted suicide and their family members and friends.