If you, or someone you know is in immediate danger please call 000 or visit your nearest hospital emergency department.

National crisis numbers

13 11 14 - 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services. To find local services in your area use Lifeline's Service Finder.

Suicide Call Back Service
1300 659 467 - 24/7 telephone crisis support for people at risk of suicide, carers and bereaved, as well as online resources and information.

Kids Helpline
1800 55 1800 - 24/7 telephone counselling for young people 5-25 years.

MensLine Australia1300 78 99 78 - 24/7 telephone and online support, information and referral service for men.

1300 22 4636 - 24/7 telephone support service and online chat 4pm - 10pm (AEST).

Additional helplines and online services

SANE Australia
1800 18 7263 - Telephone mental illness advice and referrals, weekdays 9am - 5pm (AEST), online resources and information.

Butterfly Foundation
1800 33 4673 – Telephone support service, 8am – 9pm every day, online information and resources on eating disorders.

1800 184 527 – Telephone and online chat support service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and/or intersex (LGBTI) communities, 3:00pm – midnight every day.

Online support for young people aged 12-25 years, including mental health, drug and alcohol issues.

Online crisis and mental health information for young people aged 14-25 years.

Mental Health in Multicultural Australia
Information and advice on mental health and suicide prevention for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

Social and Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Services in Aboriginal Australia
Online resources and information on cultural concepts of social and emotional wellbeing and mental health, for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and service providers.

Black Dog Institute
Clinical and research expertise and community education about depression and bipolar disorder.

Professional support

  • Make an appointment with your local doctor
  • Contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to speak with a counsellor
  • Find a GP with an interest in mental health issues through beyondblue
  • Find a psychologist by postcode through the Australian Psychological Society
  • Visit your local headspace centre if you are 12-25 years old.

Reaching out for professional help

For more information, visit the R U OK? website.

Learn More